Awards, Honours & Scholarships
Please be advised that the Forestry Scholarship Fund and A R Henderson Grant are under review and currently closed. Please check back with us again later.
To encourage excellence in forestry the IFA each year offers a number of competitive honours, awards and scholarships. More detailed information is available on each offering by clicking on the links below.
- The N W Jolly Medal is the Institute’s highest honour, recognising members who have served forestry in a prominent way. An award bestowed by the IFA Board.
- The Chinner Medal is an annual award given to a final year student in the University of Melbourne’s Master of Ecosystem Science for outstanding performance in field studies.
- The Jacobs Medal is is an annual award given to a final year student in the Australian National University’s Bachelor of Science (Forestry) for outstanding performance in field studies.
- The Forestry Scholarship Fund offers up to 3 undergraduate scholarships and up to 15 part-scholarships towards the National Forestry Masters Program (NFMP) scholarship each year. Applications closed.
- The A R Henderson Grant is offered annually for the professional development of Voting and Associate members. Applications closed.
- The Maxwell Ralph Jacobs Fund is now permanently closed but was used to support worthy projects in any field of forestry research and to provide graduates within Australasia with support for professional development not readily available from other sources.
- Prince of Wales Award for Sustainable Forestry recognizes the achievements of two outstanding young forestry professionals in Australia and New Zealand in sustainable forest management
The IFA Board can occasionally recognise members who demonstrate outstanding service to forestry and to the Institute by bestowing either honorary membership or fellow membership.
An Honorary Member of the Institute is bestowed on people who have made an outstanding contribution or conducted outstanding scientific work in subjects allied to forestry.
Voting members of the Institute who, in the opinion of the Board, have rendered outstanding service to forestry and the Institute can be invited to be a Fellow Member.